Antique celluloid advertising letter opener - turn of the century - Worcester, MA
Antique advertising letter opener from between 1901 and 1906. Metal, sandwiched with celluloid or other plastic from the time on the handle. Labeled:
SIDE 1: George W. Carr Co (H.C. Wilson) 518 Main Street Worcester
SIDE 2: General Contractors -and in tiny print- The American Art Works Coshocton O.
About George W. Car: George W. Carr came to Worcester, Massachusetts, in September 1873. After working a short time at harness making and carriage trimming, he engaged in business in partnership with Eugene Curtis, under the firm name of Curtis & Carr, in the construction of concrete roofs and walks. Later he was in partnership with Charles O. Richardson in the same business. The firms with which Mr. Carr has been connected have conducted a large and profitable business in Worcester and vicinity, especially in gravel roofs and artificial stone, granolithic and concrete construction. In 1901, the firm was incorporated under the name of the George W. Carr Company with George W. Carr as president, H. C. Wilson as treasurer, and A. H. Carr as superintendent of the work in Worcester and vicinity. In 1906 this firm assumed the interests of the Carr and Anderson corporation of Boston, and Mr. J. Fred Carr became the manager of the Boston office.
SIZE: 8 5/8" long
CONDITION: Well used and useful. Wear and scratches on the handle in particular. Dark patina on the metal.
This is a vintage item. It has been used and loved and it has a history. Please examine photos carefully and ask questions, as we are unable to accept returns or exchanges.